We did get out of the house and go to our small town fair a few weeks ago. So much fun! Mind you, it isn't anything like the State Fair {which we love!} but it has alot of the same foods and that's mostly all we care about. We walked around for a couple of hours trying all of the oh-so-healthy cuisine. Our dinner included a huge corny dog, a sub-par pina colada, curly fries, boudin stuffed jalepenos, and a funnel cake. We tried to keep it light. Haha!
G and I don't do roller coasters or any rides. We mostly eat and watch the shows and people watch. This year they had a diving show with the final diver jumping from 80ft. in the air! Whoever wrote the script for this show had to have taken some kind of recreational drug, because there was a monkey and 5 pirates all diving to find a golden pineapple. Seriously. They would come out of the water with the craziest items like a toilet lid, a plunger, and a bra! It was pretty strange. The diving was cool to watch though!
We were in line for some type of food and there was a family of a mom and her two daughters. I asked the daughter to take our picture {because I assumed she could use my phone better than her mom- assuming she was anything like my mom!} and she sort of backed away and looked at me like I was crazy, so the mom ended up taking our picture. Afterwards she says "My daughter should have done that, she's much better than me." Ya lady, I figured. That's why I asked her in the first place! But oh well! It still turned out alright! * Note: the daughter was college aged at least, it's not like I asked a 10 year old child. So weird.
It was still pretty hot outside when we went to the fair, but I am so so so glad the weather is cooling off! I LOVE fall weather, or what I like to call "sweater and boots" weather! I'm so ready for it to be cool all day. So in the spirit of "sweater" weather, I have been trying to decorate our house for Halloween/fall. I always have a hard time with decorating because I like so many things that I can never decide on just one idea! I usually end up doing a lot of returning/exchanging things. So, I've seen tons of pumpkin ideas that I love, so I knew I wanted pumpkins around the house... BUT, I HATE carving them! It's a huge mess and mine never turn out how they're supposed to... and they rot WAY too quickly. I decided to try some alternative pumpkin decor. I pinterest-ed some ideas and tips and got to work!
These are just regular pumpkins and the "happy halloween" one is from Hobby Lobby. I just tied some straw?! string around the stem of the middle sized one. {I had some burlap around the middle of the large one and G asked me if I was trying to dress it up like a baby, so I took it off and left the pumpkin au naturale}
I did these with spray paint. I always forget to take pictures during the process so I can do a proper DIY post, oh well. To make the chevron pattern I just used masking tape. It was much more tedious than I had imagined. Cut the masking tape with diagonal ends, cut pieces going both ways {ie / and \ } matching them up to make the chevron pattern. I've decided it's impossible to line them up perfectly because of the shape of the pumpkin, but maybe it was just me?! Totally possible. After I got the masking tape in place I just used black Valspar primer+paint and spray painted over the pattern. Let dry, remove the tape, and voila! I looked on several sites and the most successful medium for painting on pumpkins was spray paint. The monogram turned out a little hazy, I need to find a stencil that can stick onto the surface, the regular plastic stencils just didn't quite work.
I also did this one. It is alternating black spray paint stripes with glitter stripes. I had BIG plans to make all sorts of glittery pumpkins, but those changed REAL quick after I made this one. It was such a mess and just didn't turn out how I envisioned. I spray painted the black stripes, let them dry, and then painted glue onto the empty spaces and covered with glitter. It turned out ok, but not great enough for me to try again.

My last, and probably favorite, project is my fall wreath. I have been eyeing one on etsy that is just like this for quite some time and it's $75. I was having a hard time paying that for something I just knew I could make myself. So I found a great tutorial and got to it! I bought the largest wreath form they had at Hobby Lobby and 4 stems of each color of hydrangeas {also bought at Hobby Lobby for 50% off}. **Tip: NEVER buy anything at Hobby Lobby for full price! The whole wreath probably ended up costing less than $30!** I cut the stems off and one leaf from each flower. I used scissors to punch a hole in the wreath and then just stuck the flower and a leaf in, alternating the leaves from side to side. Once I had all the flowers in place I went back and hot glued them in. I think it turned out pretty great!
And because he consumes most of our free time.... here is the latest picture of our doggie-child and his favorite toy...
Until next time....
~A





I love the wreath!
ReplyDelete