We met "Campbell" and he was adorable. Of course, we wanted to take every single one of the animals home with us but the adoption center/shelter we went to was fabulous. They had a large, beautiful yard and lots of loving volunteers. Anyways, we took "Campbell" out of the kennel to a little visiting area and played with him for a little while. He was full of energy and you could tell he just needed to run around and was not a fan of being cooped up all day. We told them we would think about it and give them a call. We turned back around on the way home and adopted him!
Meet Jax!
{We had already decided on a name so we changed it immediately. It took him a few weeks to figure out we were talking to him, but he knows exactly who we're talking to now!}
This sweet boy does NOT like car rides. Until this last week he threw up EVERY SINGLE TIME he got in the car. I'm talking to AND from anywhere. Poor thing. He also refuses to go out the garage door because that's where the car is. We have to pick him up and put him in fighting every time, but at least he isn't throwing up anymore. For now.
First trip to the vet. Since he was a stray and then had been at the shelter we wanted to have him checked out just to be on the safe side. He was already neutered {thank goodness} and got a clean bill of health. In this picture he is looking at a 150lb lab that he is just dying to play with. When he gets frustrated he lies down and does this grumble/growl thing.
He made himself comfortable pretty quickly.
2 beds + 2 disasters = no more beds for Jax. He was literally inside alone for maybe 15-20 minutes tops while I was out in the garage working on a little house project. I had already checked on him multiple times and all was well. And then....SURPRISE! In his defense, the stuffing was already shredded like that, he didn't do that all himself. The day before G's dad had told us he wanted to dog sit :) so I sent him this picture with the caption "Still interested in dog sitting?!" Ha!
So. weird.
I know my dog is not my child and I probably will never do another post solely dedicated to him, but I wanted to write down our little adoption story. He's our first family pet and I just didn't want to forget. They say that having a pet is good practice for kids and I thought that was silly.... but it has definitely been a learning experience. He is so much different than Fred {the cat} and literally can not be left alone for a minute! Thankfully, G and I are not planning on kids any time soon {so don't ask!}... for now Jax is enough! Until next time...
-A



No comments:
Post a Comment