Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Home

Being homeowners has been quite an interesting experience. It's kind of like being a teenager all over again. {And there isn't enough money on the planet that would convince me to go back to my teenage years!} But, you think you know sooooooo much and that all those "experienced" people {your parents, family friends ect} are just being silly and don't know what they're talking about. Thats just their experience... it won't be like that for me. HA!!!! I actually had a more realistic idea about buying a house than G did. He thought it would be so easy and that we had MORE than enough savings and it was just going to be like a regular purchase. I, on the other hand, had slight anxiety about it {as I do about most things} and was afraid that we weren't any where near ready.

Thankfully, as I've said before, God had a plan and we were following it. Things worked out better than we ever imagined and on a daily basis {still} I tell G how much I love our house! It has been so fun and slightly overwhelming {in a good way!} to furnish and decorate our home. You can see the original house post HERE!  I'm not so patiently waiting to get the cd with all our wedding pictures to start putting photos up on the wall, so we still don't have much up. However, we have made some big strides in getting things organized, unpacked, and homey!

I would characterize our style as rustic- shabby chic I think. We prefer things with character as opposed to a modern/off the shelf look. And I have always been a "live for the deal" kind of girl so I have a hard time paying full price for most things when I know there's a deal to be had somewhere! These are our finds and projects as of late...


We knew we wanted a different table for our breakfast nook but weren't really actively looking. We had my small white round table there {if you've ever been to one of my apartments or seen pictures you know the one... it's small!}. It just looked out of place, but it wasn't one of the higher things on our priority list to replace at this point. We have been purging our things and were dropping some stuff off at Goodwill and decided to just go in and look around. The one near us is HUGE! We came across this set of table and chairs and thought it would be perfect for our breakfast area! $150 for the set! Now, that's a deal! We plan on painting it/refinishing it at some point but that's for another day.

This is also in our breakfast nook. I found the shelving unit at Hobby Lobby, they had 50% off furniture that week. {I never buy something at Hobby Lobby if it's not 50% off, I will always wait another week until they mark it down!} The items on it are from various places.... Marshall's, Hobby Lobby, and things we already had.

 I had seen varying versions of  "command central" for your home on Pinterest and G and I were in desperate need of a centralized place to put our work schedules ect. {He is notorious for committing us to something and then forgetting to tell me until the day of}. G made the large message board out of some scrap wood from a pallet and aluminum sheet metal. It is magnetic and you can use dry erase markers on it. He added hooks for our keys and we put Jax's leash on there. The cork boards on the side are just squares of cork covered with fabric. On the far end I got a small message board with file holder at Target. Inside are files labeled for our incoming mail. I found that idea on this blog. It has a ton of amazing organizational ideas! I plan on using her budget binder and alot of her office ideas!

We needed a place to put all of our China we received as wedding gifts and everything we have seen is either too big, too expensive, or too modern for our taste. We found an old dresser at a consignment shop and decided it would be perfect! It was a dark blue color and you could tell someone had just repainted it {and not very well}, I didn't think to take a true before picture. This is after a coat of primer.

And this is the {almost} finished product! It was the perfect size for our dining room. We decided on a light blue color. My plan for the dining room is to keep it a little girly and semi-elegant {which just means I plan on putting a sparkly chandelier in there!}. We haven't decided on the handles yet and I'm not sure about the tray at the end, but for now it stays. I got the candles and holders at a small boutique near our house for $20 total! I told you I love a good deal!

From a different angle.

We have been hard at work on our days off, and it still feels like we have a LONG way to go! But, G and I are really enjoying doing this together AND we are enjoying just being married. Until next time....

-A



4 comments:

  1. Looks so good Aubrey! Can't wait to come down and see it one day soon! :) Love the old dresser for the china! Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything looks so good! And I agree....love that dresser!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love everything you have done so far!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone! We've had so much fun!

    ReplyDelete